All databases consist of a handful of operations: Create, Read, Update, Delete, and sometimes Scan. If this sounds a lot like reading and writing files on a disk, it is. At their core, databases need access to both data and metadata. An operating system provides this in a very basic form of a filesystem. As a simple approach to building a database, the reliance on a filesystem is key, as it provides a lot of metadata, and allows us to move forward with one less layer to deal with.
There comes a time in every community where members of that community must step back and take a look at how they appear to behave to those outside of them. The operative word is appear, and that's the part I want to focus on.
In the first installment we dealt with creating collections and deep inspection of the JSON object once it was inserted. In this installment, we will be covering saving the data and building WHERE clauses from MongoDB queries in order to retrieve the data that we've written.
I had a crazy thought. Don't all good ideas start with that phrase? Well, this one was suitably crazy: why not build my own version of MongoDB right on top of Postgres? It sounds a little far-fetched, but in all honesty it's pretty simple.
It's been a few months since I released Bricks.js, and I figured it was finally time to talk about it. Bricks is a fast, and extremely modular web application framework built on top of Node.js that works a little differently.
I had been meaning to spend some time with Judy Arrays but I hadn't quite found a good reason to explore them to their full extent. While attending NodeConf I caught Marco Rogers' talk on C++ bindings for Node.js which gave me a fantastic reason to spend some time in the Judy world. A few days later I came up with this project: Judy Arrays in Node.js. Unfortunately, it's been about half of a decade since my last foray into C++, and at least a decade and a half before that via academia, so while all attempts have been made to adhere to best standards of Node.js add-on development, I cannot guarantee that everything is 100% correct and that there are no memory leaks.
It was summer and I was craving pork. Not just any pork, but Tails and Trotters pork -- fed with hazelnuts and absolutely delicious. I somehow convinced my lovely partner-in-crime to split the cost of half of a pig; there was only one problem, we had a freezer but its pedigree was entirely unknown. Rather than take a chance on losing a whole lot of yummy a plan was hatched: we'd bring the freezer into the 21st century (or at least the monitoring of it).
Introducing my first Github repository: node-date-utils. During redevelopment of my freezer daemon (more to come later), I found a couple of missing Date methods. This is an attempt to fill some of them in.