It's been a few months since I released Bricks.js, and I figured it was finally time to talk about it. Bricks is a fast, and extremely modular web application framework built on top of Node.js that works a little differently.
I had been meaning to spend some time with Judy Arrays but I hadn't quite found a good reason to explore them to their full extent. While attending NodeConf I caught Marco Rogers' talk on C++ bindings for Node.js which gave me a fantastic reason to spend some time in the Judy world. A few days later I came up with this project: Judy Arrays in Node.js. Unfortunately, it's been about half of a decade since my last foray into C++, and at least a decade and a half before that via academia, so while all attempts have been made to adhere to best standards of Node.js add-on development, I cannot guarantee that everything is 100% correct and that there are no memory leaks.
It's not every day that I find myself in a conundrum -- not just any conundrum, but a moral one. I rarely think of computers and software in the terms of morality: right and wrong, good and bad, but instead the expression of ideas, a beautiful manifestation of thought. This time things are different.
Let me back up a little bit. It was the height of the WikiLeaks release of the Iraq War Logs and I was outraged. Typically with outrage comes the desire to do something about it: this was no exception. I figured that I could do something about it, but I wasn't willing to risk my own hide by hosting a copy of the data on my own servers. Laws here in the US are fickle. I could be in the clear, but still end up on some watch list. I could legally be OK, but if my travel is suddenly impeded, that's a bad thing. I may be idealistic, but when it comes to the possibility of losing my livelihood or being put on some sort of watch list I tend to take a step back.
It was summer and I was craving pork. Not just any pork, but Tails and Trotters pork -- fed with hazelnuts and absolutely delicious. I somehow convinced my lovely partner-in-crime to split the cost of half of a pig; there was only one problem, we had a freezer but its pedigree was entirely unknown. Rather than take a chance on losing a whole lot of yummy a plan was hatched: we'd bring the freezer into the 21st century (or at least the monitoring of it).
Introducing my first Github repository: node-date-utils. During redevelopment of my freezer daemon (more to come later), I found a couple of missing Date methods. This is an attempt to fill some of them in.